Wednesday, September 6, 2017

September 2017 Karen Burniston Designer Challenge


Hi Crafty Friends,

Welcome to our very first Karen Burniston Designer Challenge for 2017.  I am so excited to be part of this awesome Design Team for Karen Burniston in Cahoots with Riley and Company

Check out Karen Burniston's blog on Wednesday (US Time) when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month, plus Karen will have an amazing video tutorial to share with us all.

For our first challenge Karen has given us the theme .... "Signature Style" Introduce yourself with a card using your signature style, or techniques, or colors. Make a card of any theme.


I must admit that I had to think for a while about what I would do for this challenge, I guess I do have a signature style but mostly I do what I like.

After a bit of thought I figured my card should include an owl, seeing how much I love owls. I  normally try to coordinate any patterned papers I use with the images and of course I LOVE interactive cards.

For the sentiment on the front, I used the largest label in the Katherine Label Pop-up for the white layer. To get the pink layer underneath I die cut the label twice from pink card cut one in half vertically and the other in half horizontally and then layered these pieces behind the white sentiment.


As you can see I have used the Katherine Label Pop-up die set to create my card. Rather than use the labels in the set on the pivot arm I decided to attach my owl directly onto the arm so when the card opens it will go up and down. I added a birthday sentiment to the bottom right hand corner of the card using the Words Set 2 - Birthday die set which is layered onto the labels included in the Katherine Label Pop-up.


As the Owl stamp set I used for my card had this fun sentiment "This isn't just a birthday card .... it's also your gift" I thought this would work well if you wanted to include a gift card in a card. So on the left hand side of the card I added the new Gift Card Label.

 

One final photo of my card so you can see the pop-up arm and how the owl is positioned on it.

Don't forget to visit Karen Burniston's blog on Wednesday when you will be able to see what all the designers created for the challenge this month.


Supplies:

Karen Burniston:





Stamps: ….Hugs, Kisses & Birthday Wishes - Unity Stamps Co.
Paper: White; Pink; Green; Birthday Basics DP - Stampin' Up
Dies: Katherine Label Pop-up;  Gift Card Label; Word Set 2 Birthday - Karen Burniston
Other: Black Ink; Clear Glitter Wink of Stella Pen; Glossy Accents; Foam Tape; Copics


6 comments:

Karen Aicken said...

See Frances? We really are two peas in a pod. :-) I love your 'signature style' card and so glad you included an owl.

Cindy Littler said...

Great card idea. Love the use of the owl.

S@ndy Diller said...

Great card Frances, I really like the way you attached the owl and balloons to the pop up without the label. Fun!! Hugs, S@ndy

Mary W said...

Fun and colorful with the cute owl holding the sweet balloons. I'd say using an owl is a wise style to have.

lilahab said...

Owls just travel in style wherever they go. I love this sweet card and the creative way you used the "style owl" to carry it off. Keep creating you are wonderful

jojot said...

love all the balloons in the bkgd and in his hands